Every year, there are 6 million car accidents in the US alone.

While, thankfully, most of these accidents aren’t fatal, they can still result in injuries and property damage. In order to claim financial recovery, it’s crucial to determine who is at fault. But how is fault determined in a car accident?

Read on to learn how to tell who is at fault in a car accident.

Dangerous or Illegal Driving

First, when determining who caused a car accident, it’s important to look for any signs of dangerous or illegal driving.

Road rules are in place for a reason. Breaking them may increase the chances of ending up in a collision or hurting yourself or someone else. That’s why, if a driver is found to have engaged in reckless or illegal driving, they may be to blame for a car accident.

Examples of dangerous/illegal driving include:

  • talking or texting on a phone
  • driving while under the influence
  • driving while sleep deprived
  • running a red light
  • not making a full stop at a stop sign
  • making an illegal turn

Driver and Witness Accounts

Another way to determine who is at fault in a car accident is to compare driver and witness accounts.

Sometimes, the drivers may agree that one person is at fault. Witnesses may speak to police to provide their own account of what happened.

This information is crucial in understanding what happened and who caused it.

Traffic and Security Cameras

Another way to learn what actually happened during an accident is to check traffic and security cameras. Police and insurance companies may review footage to help piece together the events that led to the accident.

If the footage is clear enough, it may instantly give away who was at fault.

Evidence at the Scene

The police who arrive at the scene of the accident should look carefully at any evidence or clues that show who’s at fault. It’s also a good idea for drivers to make their own records and take photos to defend themselves later, if needed.

Evidence may include skid marks, paint scratches, and dents. It can also help to take photos of the surroundings, such as a construction site or an overgrown tree that could have made it difficult to see road signs and markings.

Partial and No-Fault Accidents

When determining who is at fault in a car accident, it’s important to note that many accidents don’t assign blame to one driver only.

In many cases, partial fault is granted to each driver. For example, one driver may be 80% at fault, while the other is 20% at fault.

In other cases, accidents may be no fault, where neither driver is blamed for the accident.

To help protect yourself from being blamed for a car accident, or if you need financial recovery after an accident, contact a car accident lawyer for help with your crash.

How Is Fault Determined in a Car Accident?

How is fault determined in a car accident? Here, we described some of the top ways fault is assigned. If you’ve been in a car accident, don’t hesitate to contact a trusted attorney for help.

For more on car safety and other tips, check out our latest articles!