10 Vital Things You Must Know Before Moving
Even the complex process of moving can be made easy and stress-free if you have a clear picture before you enter.
Make your move as easy as possible by preparing yourself for what’s ahead.
Here’s what you need to know before you move: The 10 most important things you should know when moving from one house to another.
1. The first step is getting an exact movers’ quote
It’s easy to get confused, at the start. The moving process can be especially daunting for people who have never moved or have little experience.
What you should know when you move in: Once your move is confirmed, the first thing you will know is the cost of your move. Remember, it will decide the way you approach the entire process.
Wondering how much your move could cost you? Ask your favorite local movers for free movers’ quotes!
Request the moving companies to send someone over so that they can provide you with exact prices. Be sure to arrange visits for these experts – estimates obtained by phone or email may not be exact enough.
Therefore, one of the first things to consider when moving your house is to get correct estimates from the professionals in your home.
2. It is best to hire good moving services.
One of the things you’ll need to know before you move is that the best way to handle the situation is to hire well-moving companies to do the work. Many people mistakenly believe that professional moving companies are almost always the most expensive option, but that’s not true.
One thing to keep in mind is that some hidden costs can come with organizing a move that can take a toll on your budget: from the cost of packing materials to moving supplies and renting a moving truck. The only certain thing is the ever-growing cost of self-relocation even, without the costs of repairing potential property damage or treating personal injuries that may arise.
When moving, keep in mind that excellent full-service moving companies offer customized moving solutions for different moving budgets. In addition, professional mobility companies are insured so that you know that your treasured belongings are well cared for. There is no denying the many years of experience of moving and packing companies.
To hire the right moving company, you need to do your homework. Researching your company before using their movement services is vital. It might help you avoid unpleasant surprises.
3. It is necessary to follow a moving checklist or plan
One thing you need to know about the move: Having a well-organized move following a checklist is crucial.
Before you move, consider the following: The preparatory phase is often an unfair race against time due to too many tasks to be done before moving. Because of this, proper timing is crucial to ensure success.
Take full control of your time by following a moving checklist – the best time management tool you can use to your advantage. Not only does it provide a good start to the most important things to do as you move out, but it also tells you when you can complete these tasks and approximately how long you will have to complete them.
Take a great timeline for moving and customize it to your liking. Cut tasks unrelated to your relocation situation, for example, remove all pet-related tasks if you do not have a pet, and add tasks that are specific to your moving circumstances.
Also, prioritize an on-the-go checklist to ensure that all-important tasks are done first.
4. Saving money while moving is a top priority
Before you move, you should know that in most cases, moving is an expensive affair. According to the American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA), the average cost of moving between states is about $ 4,300 for 1,225 miles.
As you can see, this fact alone is good enough to start looking for diverse ways to save money when moving between two homes. Money doesn’t grow on trees, and you know your savings are at risk if you don’t do everything in your power to reduce moving costs.
- Hiring an affordable moving company can significantly reduce moving costs; see step 2. Remember that cheap moving does not have to mean lower quality service.
- You will save BIG if you carry fewer goods – see step 5. One of the things to consider before you move out is exactly what you want to bring with you.
- If you decide to pack your things without professional help, you can save a lot of money; see step 6. Special items (antique furniture, grandfather clock, swimming pool, etc.) should be left to the professionals.
5. It is strongly recommended that you declutter your home before leaving.
If you have never moved before, you can make the costly mistake of moving all the goods you have without tidying up your house first. To avoid this common moving mistake, you should take an inventory of your entire apartment when you first move in and then remove all unused items.
Decluttering your home is easy – WHY you should do it may end up being more difficult. The main reasons why you should get rid of unwanted items and move in with as few possessions as possible are:
- Transport costs. More goods mean a higher shipping weight, which results in higher shipping costs.
- Time to pack. You can pack your things much faster if the number is perfected in advance.
- Storage room. Remember: moving more household items into your new home is a bad idea if you do not have enough storage space for everything.
- Fresh cash. One important thing to keep in mind when moving is that selling things you will never use again will add fresh money to your moving budget, making it much easier to manage your house relocation
6. If you pack without the help of packing companies, you can save a fortune
What you need to know before you move is that packing as a moving chore plays a key role in the ease and low cost of your move. Why?
Consider packing your house yourself to save money.
Packing for moving is undoubtedly the most important task on your schedule and the way you handle it can make it easier or harder on you.
Choose to tackle the packaging challenge yourself and you will be rewarded with a significant reduction in costs.
- Don’t pay for moving boxes. You can get free boxes. That’s right, huge packaging costs can be avoided by 1) asking friends questions about cardboard boxes they don’t need and 2) visiting local businesses that recycle their cardboard packaging.
- Replace other packing materials. Take cost reduction to another level by replacing them with movable blankets (furniture), thick garments like towels, or even socks instead of bubble wrap. Wrapping paper used only for padding (not for packing sensitive items) can be substituted for newspapers delivered almost free of charge.
Ultimately, the truth of the matter is that because you are not paying professional packers to help you during the moving process will save you a lot of money.
7. It is impossible to move without help
Moving by yourself is an impossible task; If you don’t already know, you soon will. So, when it’s time to start the prep steps, you must find out who your helpers are.
- Family members. If you are lucky enough to have family members to help you through this transition, you have one less problem to deal with. Younger children can also help by packing and organizing a room to start.
- Trust your friends to pack and move heavy furniture when you move without hiring professionals. Let your friends know early enough so you don’t make a mess of your plans at the last minute. Show understanding when someone doesn’t seem to be able to help you. Also, promise to return the favor when the time comes.
- Professional movers. One of the most important things to keep in mind while moving is that reputable moving companies will make your job much easier, especially if you also choose a professional packing service. With an excellent moving aid such as California’s movers by your side, you can use your free time to take care of many other important things, such as saying goodbye to your friends. A price tag comes with all this simplicity and convenience – there are several free quotes to find out that price.
8. The day of moving can be dangerous
Of course, there are a few things to consider when moving from one house to another. There are so many things to keep in mind that you may soon feel overwhelmed and then confused about what you should do next.
Remember SAFETY when moving – that is, SAFETY on the day of moving in – should be your top priority. The point is, when large heavy objects are moved on the day of moving in, it can be dangerous in a fraction of a second.
SAFETY is something you must consider as you move around. Here are 3 things you need to do to ensure an elevated level of security for you and everyone involved in the move.
- Moving equipment. If you are moving without a professional moving company, you need to get the right moving equipment. A moving van is necessary. Sliders for moving furniture and moving straps help make things safer and easier.
- Proper lifting techniques. Lifting and carrying heavy objects on a movement day will put a lot of pressure on your body. Avoid injuring yourself by using proper techniques.
- Children and pets are not allowed. The moving day can be especially dangerous for young children and pets. Make sure they are cared for by someone you trust as you focus on the tasks at hand.
9. Moving out is incredibly stressful
What should you know before you cross the country? Understand this: the process of moving is one of the most stressful events in life.
Sure, you may have heard from someone or read somewhere that moving a house is stressful, but have you ever wondered why it is?
Now that you are moving, it is time to find the answer to this question and, of course, the workable solutions to reduce the stress of relocation.
Your move doesn’t have to be stressful.
Here are the top 3 reasons why moving so stressful:
- Financial burden. There is no secret that moving is expensive and your hard-earned money is at risk. Creating a mobility budget allows you to manage your finances and reduce moving costs as much as possible. If you are moving on a budget, you should take advantage of good opportunities to lower your moving costs.
- Fear of moving. Unfortunately, you must deal with the psychological side of moving: fear of the unknown, fear of costly mistakes (see below), the sadness of leaving friends, family, and familiar places.
- Time constraints. There is rarely enough time to prepare for a move. The main problem is that there are many things to do in a relatively brief period. The less time until the day of moving, the greater the time pressure. The solution? Proper time management.
10. House relocation errors can be your worst enemy
Making mistakes is never fun, but something much more serious can happen when you move homes. Ultimately, your money, time, and energy will be put to the test during the moving process, so every mistake you make will only complicate things.
To err is only human, but if you have done your homework and are aware of the most common mistakes people make when moving in, it will be much easier to stay dignified from start to finish.
Whatever you do, do not make any of these 10 moving mistakes:
- Organize your move WITHOUT a moving checklist
- Packing by yourself WITHOUT a good plan
- NOT asking for home estimates
- Turning your back on SAFETY on the day of moving
- DO: explore all the great ways to cut moving costs
- Throwing ASSETS on new boxes
- NOT decluttering ahead of time
- NOT researching your moving company
- Self-guided moving WITHOUT thinking about your options
- NOT buying insurance for your valuables
And even if you make a mistake, don’t be too strict with yourself: find the best workable way to correct it, or at least limit its harmful effects.